Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Love and Acceptance

When I tell you I love you I am also telling you that I accept you.  Acceptance alone isn't enough.  Acceptance alone isn't love.  But without acceptance there is no love.

Acceptance is a welcoming of who you are, as you are.  This includes you thoughts, your choices, you history, your feelings and your personal traits.  My acceptance frees me and you of my pre-packaged plans for you.  It frees us both of my agendas for you.

Acceptance will mean I will embrace our differences.  I will accept you limitations and potentials.  I will not try to contain your differences.  I will not try to diminish your differences.  I will not try to erase your differences.  I will overcome my inclination to be disappointed that you are not just like me.

Acceptance will mean I will notice you and I will listen.  Acceptance will mean I approve of you.  That I trust you.  I will encourage you to act in your own power.  I will support you on your path.  I will accept your strengths even when they are greater than my own.  I will accept your weaknesses even when I find them irritating or difficult.  And your weakness and strengths are not just tolerated.  I will honor them, celebrate them and cherish them.

Acceptance isn't all that love is, but without acceptance, there will be no love.

No comments:

Post a Comment